DWP FAQThe Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is the government department responsible for the U.K.’s welfare and pension programs. The DWP is composed of JobCentre Plus, the pension service, disability and carers service and child maintenance. Below you can find some of the answers to the most common DWP FAQ along with personal contact information for the DWP helpline number.

How can I report a suspected case of benefit fraud?

Before the DWP will investigate any suspected case of benefit fraud they need to have good reason to do so. This includes name, description and address of the person who is believed to be involved with the benefit fraud. If you believe that the person is working and you will need to provide information about their employer. You can contact the National benefit fraud hotline on the telephone number 0800 854 440 or the text phone number 0843 487 1819. The National benefit fraud phone number is available Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. 

How do I apply for Jobseeker’s allowance (JSA)?

You can apply for the JSA online through the gov.uk website. Alternatively you can contact JobCentre plus through their telephone number at 0800 055 6688 or text phone on 0843 487 1819. JobCentre plus is available Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Who can apply for Jobseeker’s allowance?

In order to apply for the Jobseeker’s allowance you need to be 18 years or older but below the state pension age. You must also be available to perform work. You must not be in full-time education and you must reside in England, Scotland or Wales. 

How long must I have been living in the UK before I can apply for JSA?

In order to apply for the income based JSA you must have been living in the UK for at least three months if you are a UK or EAA national. If you are an EAA National who has been self-employed and you will need to provide evidence of your earnings and details of your employment.

What conditions do need to meet for the JSA?

In order to meet the conditions of the JSA you need to visit a job seeker center every two weeks or when requested. This process is known as signing on.

How can I contact pension service if I have a query in regards to state pensions?

You should contact the DWP on their telephone help line if your are claiming the state pension for the first time. The DWP state pension helpline is 0843 487 1819.

What number should I call if I have a change in circumstances in regards to my pension?

If there is a change in your circumstances in regards to your pension, including bank account details or address, you can contact the DWP on 0843 487 1819. This phone line is available Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.

For other DWP FAQ you will need to visit the relevant website. Each division of the DWP has their own website and contact phone lines.